The experts behind OUTBREAK are dedicated to generating trusted information on antibiotic-resistance in Australia. We are focussed on the evolution and spread of antibiotic resistance in hospitals and communities, as well as in animals and the environment (One Health).
A world where antibiotics are available and effective.
Our point of difference
We connect experts from a range of disciplines and organisations who together are uniquely-skilled to generate trusted and scientifically-defensible insights on drug-resistance through the collection and use of diverse data sets.
To reduce the impact of drug resistance.
To build a world-first AI-powered One Health AMR knowledge engine – generating and integrating data from people, plants, animals and the environment – to address the location-specific and person-specific risk of an antibiotic resistant infection now and for generations to come.
To improve health outcomes – and save lives – by tracking, tracing and tackling antibiotic-resistant infections.
Our strategic focus
Tracing and tracking antimicrobial resistance
We are committed to:
- Developing a network of sampling sites across the One Health spectrum
- Building new genomic pipelines to capture how drug resistance moves between bacteria
- Accessing and linking individual and geographical health and medicines data
- Constructing a geospatial mapping platform
- Designing a ‘knowledge engine’ that uses data to inference the risk of drug resistance.
Tackling antimicrobial resistance
We aim to:
- Create products that influence the way we use antibiotics and contain infections
- Inform new policies that support the appropriate use of new and existing antibiotics and alternative treatments
- Reinforce the need for a One Health approach to address the issues of AMR
- Connect economic benefits to a change in policies or procedures.