Our mission, purpose and goal
The experts behind OUTBREAK are dedicated to generating trusted information on antibiotic-resistance in Australia. We are focussed on the evolution and spread of antibiotic resistance in hospitals and communities, as well as in animals and the environment (One Health).
To reduce the impact of drug resistance and secure a future where antibiotics are available and effective.
To build a decision support system that integrates data from people, animals and the environment – so we can address the location- and person-specific threat of antibiotic-resistant infections now and for generations to come.
To improve health outcomes – and save lives – by tracking, tracing and tackling antibiotic-resistant infections.
Our strategic focus
Tracing and tracking antimicrobial resistance
We are committed to:
- Developing a network of sampling sites across the One Health spectrum
- Building new genomic pipelines to capture how drug resistance moves between bacteria
- Accessing and linking individual and geographical health and medicines data
- Constructing a geospatial mapping platform
- Designing a ‘knowledge engine’ that uses data to inference the risk of drug resistance.
Tackling antimicrobial resistance
We aim to:
- Create products that influence the way we use antibiotics and contain infections
- Inform new policies that support the appropriate use of new and existing antibiotics and alternative treatments
- Reinforce the need for a One Health approach to address the issues of AMR
Connect economic benefits to a change in policies or procedures.